Congratulations on entering the first ever Sunshine Coast Marathon & Community Run Festival.
Whatever your reason for running, whether it be to raise funds for charity, personal health, a challenge from a friend or family member, make sure you arrive at the start line healthy, happy, fit and injury free.
The best way to enjoy the event and to achieve your goal is to cross the finish line with a smile on your face. To help you achieve this the experienced team at Atlas Multisports Coaching has designed a range of training programs for beginners, intermediates and advanced athletes alike.
The programs come with a detailed explanation, tips and glossary. There's a section for you to add your own notes and a selection of races to help prepare you for the big day.
Jason Crowther - Atlas Multisports Head Coach is a former professional athlete. He has included his top five training tips below.
- Join a coaching or running squad, they will give you a number of tips on running, including technique, fitness and more importantly you get to enjoy running with others.
- Make sure you have the right shoe, head to your local specialist store that will help fit the right shoe to your feet. Don’t let your shoes get too old as they loose their support and never run in new shoes, walk them in.
- Recovery is important, just like training and getting fit are important, letting the body refresh and recover is just as important. Stretching and massage will help maintain your fitness and make your running more enjoyable.
- Listen to your body, it’s the best gauge you have. Don’t just follow blindly, if you feel sore miss a session, stretch, get a massage or simply rest. Missing an odd session will not kill you, but an injury may take you out of the event.
- Finally try cross training, if you swim or cycle build those into your training, you will still be getting the fitness benefits, with less load on the body. Even do the odd gym session for strength or gym class to keep your training fun and current.
Good luck with your training. We look forward to seeing you at the start and most importantly the finish line.
If you are looking for a coach and live on the Sunshine Coast or looking for a training program email Atlas Multisports for further information.